S.C. Voting Bill – H.5305
On Sept. 16, Governor McMaster signed into law H.5305, a bill authorizing several pandemic-related changes to the management of the general election in Nov. Highlights include:
· All qualified SC Voters are now eligible to vote absentee. This includes voting absentee early in-person and voting absentee by mail.
· Early in-person voting begins Oct. 5. Rules for photo ID required to vote at polling places apply. Absentee This includes: SC Driver’s License; SC Dept. of Motor Vehicles ID Card; SC Voters Registration Card with Photo; Federal Military ID or US Passport
· A completed mail-in ballot can be handed to an election official at a county or satellite election office anytime between Oct. 5 and Nov. 3, but not at ordinary polling places on Election Day.
· The process of preparing absentee votes for scanning can commence 48 hours early, on Sunday morning, Nov. 1.
· Deadline to register in person to vote is Friday, Oct. 2, 2020.
· Deadline to register online to vote is Sunday, Oct. 4, 2020.
· Deadline for registering by mail to vote is postmarked by Monday, Oct. 5, 2020.
· NOTE: Hilton Head’s satellite Elections Office, scheduled to open Oct. 5, will be located in the Beaufort County Govt. offices, 539 William Hilton Parkway. For more information: www.scvotes-.org